Reprint W2 Forms in QuickBooks Desktop: A Step-by-Step Guide
As tax season approaches, businesses are preparing to send out W2 forms to their employees. However, sometimes errors occur, and QuickBooks W2 forms need to be reprinted. If your business uses QuickBooks, you’re in luck. Reprinting W2 forms in QuickBooks is a straightforward process. In this article, we will provide a comprehensive guide to help you reprint W2 in QuickBooks.
You can reprint W2 forms in QuickBooks as many times as you need. However, it’s important to ensure the information on the form is accurate before printing to avoid errors.
Here we mentioned the process of reprinting W2 forms in QuickBooks Desktop. So you can make sure that all of your employees have the forms they need.
What is a W2 Form?
Before we explore the process of reprinting W2 forms, let’s first review what a W2 form is. A W2 form is a tax document that employers are required to give to their employees each year. The form reports the employee’s earnings, amounts of federal, state, and other taxes that were keep back from their paychecks.
Reasons for Reprinting W2 Forms
What W2 Forms to use with QuickBooks?
There are many reasons why you may need to reprint W2 Forms for QuickBooks. Sometimes the original form can get lost or damaged, or an employee may not have received their form in the mail.
In other cases, an employee may have left the company before receiving their W2 form, or there may have been an error on the original form that needs to be corrected.
What to do to Reprint W2 in QuickBooks?
Experiencing tax forms-related issues while running QuickBooks to manage accounting and payroll for your small or mid-sized businesses? No need to worry about it. At times, users lose a printed copy of their W2 form and need to print W2 forms in QuickBooks once again as soon as possible.
The W2 forms are important documents that contain information related to the wages and salaries of the employees that are paid by their employer. This entire issue takes place when any employee of your company requests to reissue the form, you might reprint W2 in QuickBooks.
Reprint w2 in QuickBooks: A Guide
Print W2 Forms in QuickBooks
To reprint an earlier W2 form, just behave in compliance with the internal revenue services rules and regulations. The need to reprint old W2 forms can be caused due to a missing form from the employee’s end.
Whenever the employees are going to prepare for their tax returns transactions, it is required to file this form.
Make sure that the employer and the employees both have copies of such W2 forms it’s of your year-end tasks. If you file this form manually with the IRS, you can send paper copies to your employees or print it.
Want to get answers to your W2 questions? Stay connected till we explore it all!
W2 tax form: A Brief Overview
QuickBooks W2 Tax Forms
This amount works as beneficial, the government takes from the citizens and uses this certain amount to develop the country.
However, if you’re an employee, don’t need to worry about paying taxes. Your employer deducts the amount from your paycheck and files your taxes for you. Employers need to give a detailed account to know how much amount are being deducted as tax on annual basis. This is where you have to file your W-2 forms.
Steps to create your W2 Forms
To reprint W2 in QuickBooks, you need to first create it properly. Let’s see how:
- In the inception, go to the Employees menu.
- Thereafter, choose Payroll Tax forms and W-2s, followed by clicking on Process Payroll forms.
- Under the File Forms section, select the Annual form W-2/W-3 – Wage and Tax Statement Transmittal.
- Then, tap on Create Form.
Procedure to Submit your W2s Forms
Once done, now it’s time to send your file electronically before reprinting your W2 in QuickBooks. The below-explained steps can be helpful when followed carefully:
- First things first, you need to choose All Employees or Employee’s last name, and it will help you to file by batch underneath the Process W-2s page.
- Now, you need to enter the year of the form you’re filling out under the Select Filing Period section and then press OK.
- In the Select Employees for Form W-2/W-3 window, opt for the employees. To select all employees displayed, you can click on Mark All.
- Tap on E-File Federal Forms.
- You must type your business phone number and email address on the login screen.
- Last but not least, hit the Submit tab.
Points to be considered when reprinting W2
The things you need to keep in mind before printing W-2 forms in QuickBooks Desktop are as follows:
- Check your QuickBooks Desktop version that is supported.
- Verify and confirm your subscription for the QuickBooks Payroll Enhanced or Standard service.
- Also, you need to ensure that you have the latest payroll tax table.
- Blank W2 Forms for QuickBooks – Ensure that you print the form on blank paper, preprinted forms, or perforated paper of a laser printer.
- The blank ink and print onto paper are required to print W-2 forms.
- Verify the compatibility of the W2 form with the QuickBooks Payroll version.
- Confirm that you’re using the preprinted forms for inkjet printers.
Here’s how to reprint W2 in QuickBooks Desktop 2021!
How to Print W2 in QuickBooks?
Implement the steps stated in the below-given list to get the task done:
- To begin with, navigate to the Employees menu.
- Now, choose the Payroll Tax forms and W-2s then tap on Process Payroll forms.
- Select the Annual form W-2/W-3 – Wage and Tax Statement Transmittal under the File forms tab.
- Once done, hit the Create Form button, which will help you to create it.
- When in the File Form section, click the employee’s name and the filing period.
- Hit Submit Form to continue printing.
- Hit a click on the Print/E file, and it will open the Print W-2 and W-3 Forms window.
- At last, Print the form.
Recommended To Read:
QuickBooks Running Slow | Steps to Speed-up QuickBooks
Know how to file your state W2s with QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced!
You are required to print and send W2s to your employees postmarked by January 31. Below are the steps to be carried out to file your state W2s with QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Enhanced.
Step 1: Purchase your W2 paper
Order W2 Forms for QuickBooks
First of all, you’ve to order W2 paper through a reliable website. This ensures your W-2s will print correctly and your employees won’t have any issues while filing. You can simply print the employee copies on:
- Blank 3-part perforated paper
- Pre-printed 4-part perforated paper
To order your W2 kit (includes envelopes):
Below are the steps you need to follow with the utmost attention to order your W2 kit fail-safely:
- Head to the QuickBooks Checks & Supplies.
- Now, select Tax Products.
- Choose either Pre-Printed W-2 kits or Blank W-2 kits.
- At last, follow the on-screen steps to complete your order.
Step 2: Update QuickBooks & Payroll Tax Table
For updating your QuickBooks Desktop and payroll tax table to the latest release, implement the below-listed steps one-by-one:
To Update QuickBooks
Updating QuickBooks is an important task as it ensures that your program is running smoothly and you have the most improved features to handle your business accounting. Below are the steps:
- To start off, navigate to the Help menu and then choose Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Tap on Update Now and then select Get Updates.
- Once done, close and reopen QuickBooks.
- If you’re prompted to install the update, press Yes.
- When the installation completes successfully, follow the instructions appearing on your screen.
To Update Payroll Tax Table
- In the inception, go to the Employees and then click on Get Payroll Updates.
- To know your tax table version:
Once you have the latest updates QuickBooks Desktop application, follow the below-given steps to determine which tax table version you are currently using for your taxes:
- Check the number next to You are using the tax table version:
- View the latest payroll news and updates to verify if it’s the correct version.
- Choose Payroll Update Info for getting more details on your tax table version.
- To get the most recent tax table:
- If you are not using the most recent tax table, you can update it by implementing the below-given steps correctly:
- Tap on Download Entire Update.
- Click Update. An informational window starts appearing once the download is complete.
Step 3: Create and print W2 and W3 forms
Now that you have the most updated version of the QuickBooks Desktop and payroll tax tables, you can create and print W2 and W3 forms with the below-listed steps:
- The initial step is to Payroll Tax Forms & W-2s from the Employees dropdown menu and then Process Payroll Forms.
- Under the File Forms tab, scroll down and choose Annual Form W-2/W-3 – Wage and Tax Statement/ Transmittal.
- Click on Create Form.
- After this, select all or individual employees to file.
- You need to enter the year and then press OK.
- Choose all or individual employees to print.
- Tap on Review/Edit to review each W2. Later on, reviewed W2s have a checkmark in the Reviewed column.
- Once done, hit the Submit Form tab and follow the on-screen steps to print and file the forms.
Note: In case you are reprinting as your employee lost or didn’t get the original W-2, write REISSUED STATEMENT on the top and include a copy of the W-2 instructions.
QuickBooks W2 And 1099 Forms
Form 1099 is a document that is issued to freelancers and independent contractors. This form states a non-employer payment to an individual or a business. There are many different 1099 forms; however, 1099-NEC and 1099-MISC are the most common forms among them.
W2 forms in QuickBooks, on the other hand, report all the payments made to the employees within one financial year. The employers issue these forms to their employees at the end of a calendar year. The information reported in W2 is state income, Medicare and social security income, and taxable income. This information is mandatory when filing tax returns during tax season.
Learn how to reprint prior years W2’s
The steps included in this section are stated below:
- Initially, choose Taxes and then Payroll Tax.
- Next, click on Filings.
- Hit the Resources tab.
- Afterward, you must select Archived forms and filings.
- Tap on the date range you need, or search the forms you need.
- Hit View on the W-2 or W-3 form you wish to print.
- Finally, select the print icon on the Reader toolbar and then click Print again.
Does QuickBooks Print W2 Forms?
Yes! You can print W2 forms in QuickBooks for the current year and the previous years from when you started using the QuickBooks Payroll service. You can accomplish this task with a few simple steps. It allows you to see and print your W2 forms from within the QuickBooks application. Moreover, you can reprint your W2s as well if the employee has lost or didn’t receive the original W2 form.
Understand how to reissue a lost W2?
If you’ve lost your W2 form then you can follow the below-given instructions to reissue it. Here’s how:
- Firstly, visit the Payroll Center and then select Employees.
- Now, click on the File Forms tab.
- Navigate to the View/Print form & W2s.
- Here, you need to enter your Payroll PIN, which you received with your payroll subscription.
- Once done, hit the OK tab.
- After this, go to the W2 page, and if you don’t see a list of employees, choose View/Print W2 forms for all years.
- In the list, tap on the employee’s name to open the W2 form you want to print.
- If the W-2 form is not opening, hold down and press Ctrl + Alt at the same time while clicking on the employee’s W2 form.
- If prompted, choose View Reprints.
- After selecting this, verify that the forms should have a REISSUED STATEMENT watermark or not then click on Continue.
- When Adobe Reader opens up the W-2 form, you need to print it on the correct perforated paper.
- To end the process, make sure to check on filling out the instructions form for your employees.
Why can’t my employees view their W2s?
As an employer, you can email/print a copy of W2 forms to your employees. Here’s how:
- Progressing further, choose Taxes, located on the left menu, and move to the Payroll Tax tab.
- Next, click on the Annual Forms link located underneath the Forms section.
- Select an employee or All Employees under Annual Tax Forms.
- Thereafter, click W-2, Copies B, C & 2.
- Press the View button and download the previewed W2 forms.
- In the end, print or Email it to your employees.
When I am able to view and print my employees W2s?
If your employer has invited you to QuickBooks Workforce and you’ve already set up your account then it’s so seamless to view and print your own W-2 forms. Let’s see how:
Get your W2s
From the W-2 menu, you can easily view your W-2 copies B, C, and 2. The latest W-2 form will be present under QuickBooks Workforce by January 31 and previous W-2s are only available up to the past 3 years.
To add security, you may require to verify your phone number and personal info before taking a look at your W-2s.
- Log in to workforce.intuit.com.
- Now, hover over the W-2 menu.
- Choose the W-2 copy that you want to view or download (and then print).
- You should receive your W-2 by mail in early February. If you haven’t received it by then, and can’t access it here, immediately contact your employer.
Go Paperless (if available)
If you don’t want to get a W-2 via mail, you may be able to opt out. This option isn’t available to everyone. It depends on the payroll service your employer is using. If you can go paperless, you have time till 3 January to change this option for your current year W-2. Check out the below stated steps to get a paperless W2 form.
- Navigate to the W-2 menu.
- From Ditch the snail mail! Get paperless W-2s, choose to Go paperless.
- Now, select your W-2 delivery option, then tap on Save.
- Review the W-2 delivery consent notice and click Save and accept.
Recommended To Read:
QuickBooks Error 1603 | Simple Troubleshooting Steps
QuickBooks Online W2 Forms
QuickBooks Online Payroll lets you access and print W-2 forms. You can perform several tasks related to W2s in QuickBooks Online, such as preparing W2s, distributing them to your employees, and filing them to the IRS that too before January 31 each year.
The QuickBooks Online Payroll subscription lets you perform automated electronic filing of W-2 forms. Thus, you don’t need to take the stress of mailing in or manually submitting your W-2s. However, you need to make sure at your end that all the filing requirements are fulfilled. Besides, you also need to make sure that the filing is done in compliance with the state payroll regulations.
Still, having issues when you reprint W2 in QuickBooks? Panicking is not a solution to tackle this printing error which typically occurs due to a missing, damaged or corrupted form from the employee’s end. Like other QB users, if you’ve also lost a printed copy of your W2 form and want to print it once again then feel free to get in touch with our QuickBooks-certified experts and get your tax form printed with just a few clicks.