“Cannot open my QuickBooks company file!” Are you also searching for such queries? If yes, you will find relevant solutions to this issue in this well-detailed blog post. The QuickBooks not opening company file error is one of the common ones among daily QuickBooks users. Users may encounter this company file issue due to the damaged file extension.
To manage this issue, you need first to understand the error, learn its reasons, and continue applying methods to resolve it. Let’s begin!
Call our expert QuickBooks team at +1-833-460-2030 and get instant professional support.
QuickBooks Not Opening Company File: What’s This Issue?
Among the numerous QuickBooks company file errors, the QuickBooks not opening company file also commonly erupts with a supporting message. This message on the user’s screen read as “Can’t open QuickBooks: QuickBooks already has a company file open. If you want to open another company file, close this one first.” Also, the problem states, “Only QuickBooks Accountant and QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions can open two company files at once.”
As a result of this error, users fail to collect the data from their earlier QuickBooks company files. Eventually, such company file issues hamper users’ daily productivity.
Why is My QuickBooks Not Opening a Company File? Common Reasons
It may be hard to find out what has rooted the QuickBooks not opening company file error. Therefore, we have listed some of the common reasons to help you better.
- Insufficient permission access to the QuickBooks company file folder can trouble you while opening the company file in QuickBooks.
- What else can stop QuickBooks from opening the company file is the corrupted or damaged files in your QuickBooks database.
- The corruption or damage of the company file when it was being used earlier, can also interrupt users from opening the company file.
- Another reason users cannot open QuickBooks company file is the issues with the location and extension of the QuickBooks company file.
- Issues with your file reports can also result in the not opening QuickBooks company file error.
- The outdated version of your QuickBooks Desktop application can also lead to company file opening issues.
- The system’s hard drive issue is also among the common reasons for users cannot open QuickBooks company file.
Read Also:- Why Is QuickBooks Running Slow
How Can I Fix the QuickBooks Company File Will Not Open Issue?
You can easily troubleshoot if the QuickBooks company file will not open problems by undertaking the solutions mentioned below in the section.
Solution Method 1 – Change the .TLG and .ND File Names
Sure! The QuickBooks company file won’t open error can be rectified by renaming the .TLG and .ND files. For this, execute the steps given below:
- Initiate this method by first navigating to your Windows Start menu. In the Search bar, type File Explorer.
- Once you get the File Explorer window, search for where you have saved your QuickBooks company files.
- Now, do not search for the primary company files but browse the .TLG and .ND files. Remember, these files would be named [Your company file name].qbw.nd and [Your company file name].qbw.tlg.
- Once you find these files, now separately right-click these files and choose the Rename options respectively.
- Rename these files by adding the .old extension in the last file name. After performing these steps, you must open your QuickBooks application and the company file.
- If you still face the QuickBooks company file won’t open error, continue applying the next troubleshooting method.
Solution Method 2 – Try to Open your Company File Directly from QuickBooks
To eliminate the QuickBooks not opening company file issue, you must follow the given procedure to open the company file directly from your QuickBooks application.
- First, select the QuickBooks company file from the No Company Open window.
- In this step, press and hold the ALT button on your keyboard, and continue to hit the Open option.
- If you find issues opening this QuickBooks company file, first select and click the Edit menu.
- From this drop-down Edit menu, choose the preference alternative and continue to hit the Desktop view option.
- Select the Don’t save the Desktop option and end this procedure by finally hitting the OK option.
Solution Method 3 – Verify the Extensions of your QuickBooks Company File
To know why your QuickBooks is unable to open this company file, you need to verify the properties and extensions of that very QuickBooks company file. Let’s see how:
- Start this solution by first opening the folder containing your QuickBooks company file.
- After this, once you have found the company file, right-click it, and click the Properties option.
- In this step, make sure that your QuickBooks company file has the .qbw extension and that the size of the file is at least 7 MB.
- Once you have ensured these mandatories, choose the Advance alternative and remove the tick-marks from the selected compress and encrypt attributed boxes.
- Finally, conclude this procedure by hitting the OK button. If still, QuickBooks is unable to open this company file, move to the next method.
Solution Method 4 – Move your QuickBooks Company File to a New Location
Let this troubleshooting method help you solve the QuickBooks company file won’t open error. Follow the jotted-down steps to move your QuickBooks company file to a new location:
- First, create a new folder in your computer’s C: Drive, and open the file folder containing the QuickBooks company files.
- Press the CTRL button on your keyboard and right-click the company file plus the TLG file to choose the Copy option to copy these files.
- In the end, paste the copied files into the newly created folder in C: Drive.
In a Nutshell..!
That’s all! We hope this well-elaborated blog has explained to you why your QuickBooks is not opening a company file and how to figure out this issue. However, if you fail to rectify this company file issue on your own, consider contacting our expert QuickBooks Desktop Support team. Reach out to our QuickBooks professional crew via Live Chat Support!