QuickBooks Error Code H202 – Resolved With Simple Steps
QuickBooks error H202 is a common issue in that program that can take place when switching to the multi-user mode. The multi-user mode feature in QuickBooks lets multiple users access the QuickBooks company file located on the computer hosting the company file over the network. However, when the error occurs, you may not be able to communicate with the server computer in order to access the QuickBooks company file.
There are several reasons that can promote error H202 in QuickBooks. However, by implementing the right troubleshooting solutions, you can retain access to the company file in a multi-user environment. In this post, we will discuss those solutions along with some important aspects related to QuickBooks error code H202, such as causes and symptoms. Let’s read the full post to learn more about the error.
Read Also:- How To Fix QuickBooks Error 6143
QuickBooks Multi-User Mode Error H202 – Overview
QB error code h202 The multi-user mode in QuickBooks lets users access a company file on the server computer from the terminal workstations so that multiple users can work on it simultaneously. This feature is designed to make the workflow more efficient. However, when the workstations fail to communicate with the server computer in order to access the company file, an error flashes on your screen with the text:
QuickBooks Error Code H202
“This company file is on another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connecting”.
In addition to this prompt, the error message also recommends the users run the QuickBooks Database Server Manager to scan the files and restore the connection. However, it is not necessary that the error will be resolved this easily. There can be several possible reasons. Therefore, you may need to go the extra mile and perform various solutions based on the possible reasons behind the error.
What Is Multi-User Mode In QuickBooks?
We have already discussed a few things about the QuickBooks multi-user environment that allows multiple users to access the data file. Here, you need to understand how it works. There is a server computer that hosts the company file. Other computers that are connected to the server computer are known as workstations, and they access the file from the server computer over a network.
To run multi-user mode smoothly, you need to make sure that the hosting is enabled on the server computer. Besides you also need to check that the hosting is turned off on the workstations. Besides, some essential services, such as QuickBooks Database Server Manager, must be running to host the data file. If not, you may experience difficulties in accessing the company file from the other computer.
Possible Reasons Behind Error H202 In QuickBooks Desktop
QuickBooks error shows up when the Desktop program tries to connect to the company file located on the server and fails. There can be several possible factors that can evoke this error:
- Improperly configured hosting settings are one of the primary reasons behind the error.
- The incoming and outgoing QuickBooks communication is obstructed by the server computer Firewall.
- A Conflicting DNS server is also one of the apparent reasons behind the QuickBooks error H202.
- When QuickBooks struggles to get the IP address of the server computer hosting the company file, the error can come into sight.
- The error can also take shape when essential services, such as QuickBooksDBXX or QBCFMonitor, are not running.
- A damaged network data (ND) file, a network version of the QuickBooks file, can also cause the error H202 in QuickBooks.
- A problematic QuickBooks Database Server Manager sometimes results in the arrival of the multi-user mode error H202 in QuickBooks.
Read Also:- How To Fix QuickBooks Error 15276
Symptoms Of QuickBooks H202 Error Multi User
QuickBooks error message h202 when the error presents itself, you can identify it by tracing the following signs and symptoms:
- QuickBooks error message H202 will show up on the screen abruptly.
- You may not be able to access the company file located on another computer, sometimes when it is really urgent.
- Switching to the multi-user mode becomes the real trouble.
- QuickBooks acts sluggish, freezes sometimes, and may not respond at all.
- Windows performance also gets affected by the arrival of the QuickBooks error H202.
When you notice these symptoms, try to eliminate the issue by implementing suitable troubleshooting solutions.
How To Fix H202 Error QuickBooks Desktop?
QuickBooks error H202 is an annoying issue and can hamper your workflow. Your access to the company file gets restricted, and you may not be able to proceed a step further until the issue is resolved. Before you move ahead, you need to keep a few important points in your consideration:
- Log in to QuickBooks with the admin login credentials to gain full access to make some crucial changes in the program.
- Make sure that the Internet connection is stable to perform the procedures.
- Save a backup of your company file to prevent an undesired loss of your crucial accounting data.
Now that you know the ins and outs of the QuickBooks Desktop error code H202, let’s discuss its troubleshooting solutions:
Solution 1: Ping Your Server From A Workstation To Check Network Connectivity
You need to ping your server from each workstation that is experiencing the QuickBooks multi user mode error h202. Below are the steps:
- If you don’t know the name of your server, simply turn on the Network Discovery on both server and the workstation facing the error code H202. Thereafter, you need to ping your server.
- On your Windows search bar, open the Run window (Windows + R).
- When the Run window opens, type the text “cmd” in it and hit the Enter button.
- Moving ahead, enter ping [servername] to ping it from your workstation and click the Enter button.
- You need to keep in mind that there should be space between ping and your server name. Besides, the bracket is just given to indicate the placement of the server name. You don’t need to actually put the server name into the brackets when you ping the server name.
If you get a slow response from the server computer, it indicates a packet loss and shows that your network needs to be repaired.
Solution 2: Put QuickBooks File Doctor To Use
QuickBooks File Doctor tool is a vital utility in the program, which repairs the damaged company file and network issues in the program. You can use it to repair the damaged network detected in the first solution. This tool can be accessed from within the QuickBooks Tool Hub. Therefore, you need to download and install the tool hub on your system in the first place on your server computer.
Below is how to Download and Install the QuickBooks Tool Hub:
- Close QuickBooks and go to Intuit’s official website.
- Here, you need to locate and download the latest version of your QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Thereafter, save the downloaded file to a location where it can be accessed easily to run the installation.
- Move to the download location and open the downloaded QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
- Follow the on-screen installation instructions and agree to the terms and conditions so that it can be placed to use.
- After a successful installation of the tool, click on the Tool Hub icon on your Desktop to open it.
- If you are unable to locate the icon, use the Windows search option to find and open it to move ahead with QuickBooks error H202 fix not working solutions.
Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your Server from Within the Tool Hub:
- On your server computer (the one that hosts the company file), run QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- When in Tool Hub, select Network Issues, and this option will enable you to select the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- When the QuickBooks Database Server Manager service opens, select Start Scan to scan the company file folders. If the folders are not there, you can use the Browse option to locate the company file.
- The Server Manager will repair the Firewall permissions so that it does not prevent workstations from communicating with the server computer.
- Once the scan finishes, click the Close option.
- Thereafter, open QuickBooks on all the workstations facing QuickBooks error code H202.
- Now, open File and then select Switch to Multi-User Mode.
- Also, if you use your server computer as a workstation, you need to examine it as well.
Run the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool to Repair the Damaged Data File:
- Open Tool Hub and from the error category list, select Company File Issues.
- Thereafter, select Run QuickBooks File Doctor to repair data damage.
- Select the company file, and if you are having difficulty finding it, use the Browse option.
- Enter your QuickBooks admin password to initiate the scan, and based on the file size and Internet connection strength, it may take a few minutes to finish.
Now try to switch to the multi-user mode to check if the this company file is on another computer h202. If the problem remains persistent, move to the next solution.
Solution 3: Make Sure That The QuickBooks Services Are Running
Some essential services, such as QuickBooks Database Server Manager and QBFCMonitorService, need to run on the server computer in order to enable the multi-user mode. In this procedure, you need to make sure that the essential services are running by implementing the below-explained steps:
- When on your server computer, open your QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Thereafter, go to the File tab and then select Utilities.
- Now choose the Host multi-user access option to verify the service status.
- Open the Run Window (Windows + R keys together).
- In the Run box, type or paste “services.msc” and hit the OK button.
- Choose QuickBooksDBXX (where XX depicts the version of the server manager).
- Here, you need to check if the Startup Type is Automatic or not.
- If not, set it as Automatic and move ahead.
- Now check the Service status and confirm that it shows Running.
- Moving ahead, go to and choose the Recovery tab.
- When you see the first, second, and subsequent failures drop-down menus, choose “Restart the service” for all of them.
- After that, click Apply and then hit the OK button to save the changes.
Repeat the same procedure for QBFCMonitorService and then open QuickBooks on all the workstations. Now, choose the Switch to Multi-User Mode option to check if the error is resolved or not.
Solution 4: Create A New Folder For The QuickBooks Company File
If the QuickBooks error H202 server 2016 continues even after implementing the above-listed solutions, check if moving the company file to a new folder can resolve this issue. Below are the steps:
- Create a new folder for the QuickBooks file on your server computer.
- Next, you need to share the QuickBooks files after assigning sufficient permissions to the new folder.
- Thereafter, you need to Copy (CTRL+C) and Paste (Ctrl + V) the QuickBooks company file to the new folder.
- You can now try to open the company file in multi-user mode to examine the status of the QuickBooks error code H202.
If the multi-user mode error H202 continues to trouble you, move to the next solution.
Solution 5: Manually Modify Your System Firewall Settings
Sometimes, your system Firewall obstructs the communication between QuickBooks and the server. In such a case, you need to configure the Firewall settings manually and enable the communication between the QuickBooks and the Server. Follow the below-explained steps carefully:
- Add QuickBooks to the exception list to allow it through the Windows Firewall. Once allowed, Firewall will not prevent it from communicating with the server.
- Once the permissions are configured, you open QuickBooks on all workstations.
- Again, open the File menu and select Switch to multi-user Mode located underneath.
If you are now able to switch to the multi-user mode, QuickBooks error H202 is resolved.
The solutions described in this post explain how to fix QuickBooks error H202. Implementing these solutions correctly, you can switch to the multi-user mode and access the file located on another computer.
However, if you face any difficulty in executing the solutions, professional assistance is always there to guide you. Connect with experts, describe your issues, and get the best help for QuickBooks error H202 switching to multi-user mode.
You may also read: QuickBooks Update Error 15240